Learn While You Earn – Specialized Co-op

Learn While You Earn – Specialized Co-op (GLN4OE/CO-OP)

Did you leave high school just before earning all the credits you needed for graduation?
Would you like to try a new way to earn the credits you are missing?

If so, Specialized Co-op is a new program available to students who have left school prior to fulfilling their graduation requirements. You will have found employment or a volunteer position. You will keep your job while working on an online or correspondence course and earning two co-op credits for a total of three credits.


Some non-post secondary courses that adult students have taken may qualify as equivalent credits. For example: apprenticeship training, some military courses, community college upgrading.


Do you have an opportunity to start and Apprenticeship program but you require a Grade 12 diploma? Mature students can start and apprenticeship while finishing their Grade 12. A blend of correspondence online courses and workplace hours can all count toward credits and your apprenticeship while you go to work. All Apprenticeship placements are subject to approval and must be found by the adult learner.
Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR)
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is the formal evaluation and credit-granting process through which mature students may obtain credits for prior learning - the knowledge and skills that adults have acquired, in both formal and informal ways, outside secondary school.

Through PLAR, it may be possible for an adult student to earn credits towards an OSSD faster than you think! The PLAR process for mature students involves three procedures:
    “individual assessment/equivalency” (Gr. 9 /10)  “equivalency” (GR. 11/12)   “challenge” (GR. 11/12) 
Step 1
  Book an appointment with a PLAR assessor by calling 613 962 3133 or email - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Step 2  Come in for your appointment with the following documents: 
1. Official high school transcript (contact your former school if you don't have it) 
2. Photo ID 
3. Proof of Ontario residency 
4. Immigration Documentation (for landed immigrants or newcomers) 
For further information, please contact us. OR click here
Mature Credits

Mature Credits

The Ministry of Education permits the granting of a maximum of 12 mature credits to adults returning to school. These credits only apply to adult students who start high school, in the Province of Ontario, before September 1999.

Contact information and to register for a course

Belleville Centre – William R Kirk Building
Room 105
224 Palmer Road
Belleville, ON K8P 4E1

Phone: 613-962-3133

Fax: 613-962-0391

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Office hours
September to June
Monday and Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. -6:30 p.m.
Friday: closed

Summer hours
Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Friday: closed

Contact Us!

Belleville: (613) 962 - 3133

Madoc:  (613) 962 - 3133

Trenton: (613) 962 - 3133